Sunday, January 15, 2012

Job Hunting and Editing

Since I only have one class this semester I've been looking for another part time job. I check the ads on Craig's List every day and am pleased when there is one or two that I actually wanted to respond to. This week I was called to come in for two interviews.

The first was helping the Operations Manager at a company that sells robots that make machine parts (from what I understand.) She is responsible for taking the file from the sales people and following it through to finish. There was a stack of files on her desk and it was obvious that she needed some help. It would have been challenging and enjoyable work but when she said for the 3rd or 4th time that she would feel comfortable letting me follow one of those files from beginning to end in about 6 months, I knew it wouldn't be fair for me to not tell her that I was really only looking for a job for the next 9 to 12 months. She thanked me for my time and said that wouldn't work (which I completely understood). To try and make me feel better she offered some feedback by saying that I had interviewed well. That cracked me up since I had said maybe 5 sentences during the whole time. She was the one doing all the talking. I guess I managed an intelligent question when she asked if I had any.

My second interview was for a temporary position with a tutoring company that needed someone to go to student's homes and deliver a laptop computer, make sure they are connected to the internet and get them started on a tutoring program. To qualify for this program the kids need to be in a school that hasn't met standards for 3 years and who receive lunches at a reduced rate. One of the qualifications for this position was to be bilingual or be able to figure out a way communicate with those who don't speak English.  French was not one of the languages they need but I do have some experience going into immigrant homes. I was basically hired on the spot.

Most of the rest of my week was spent writing and rewriting the essays for my application to Occupational Therapy school. Thanks to some help from Aunt Versa and my English teacher roommate I managed to submit something readable and interesting (I hope) that answered the questions being asked about 24 hours before the deadline. One of the essays asked me to describe how I would contribute to the diversity of the program. Fortunately diversity includes being from a rural area. The only problem is that my transcripts have not yet arrived even though they were sent 10 days ago.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Those two jobs were on pretty opposite ends of the spectrum.

    Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete