Sunday, March 25, 2012

Mary Pat's B&B

Since the mid 80s our family has been staying at Mary Pat's B&B on our visits to Minneapolis. It is run by a friend of our family who gladly lets family and friends stay at no charge. At one point, I believe that Mom had a key so we could use it when she was gone. This former school teacher was always super organized. The towels in the bathroom are labeled with the name of each guest. Prayer requests are taped to the bathroom mirror. All condiments (and paint cans) have the date it had been opened written on them. The den is full of conservative political and Christian reading material. (That refers to two separate categories.) The conversation around the table is always lively as Mary Pat has 101 questions and about that many stories as well.

This weekend my parents came to help Mary Pat get her home ready to be put on the market. It is to be ready for showings tomorrow. Dad came with his tool box and paint clothes and Mom brought her organizational skills. I helped some, making a trip to the thrift store and helping to load boxes that we took to her next home. Mary Pat turned down my offered to quickly take care of the paper clutter in the den by getting a few garbage sacks. I guess she wants to see if she will discover any treasures.

Mary Pat may not have long to live. She's made it past 80 and now has an untreatable cancerous growth. With a smile she declares that she is ready to die. "I've had a good life. I love Jesus and I'm ready to see him." Yet at the same time, she isn't eating sugar to try and keep the cancer from growing and it seems it will take her 10 years to do all that she wants to accomplish.

This afternoon as my parents were loading up the car to return home, Dad asked Mary Pat if she had any need for the large pipe wrench he had found in the basement. She responded with an enthusiastic, "O no. Please take it. It's a very good pipe wrench." As he headed to the car, she turned to me and said, "I used to hold tightly to my possessions. But God is good. He has opened my hands and loosened my grip. Now I am glad to see them go." 

Mary Pat is always been a great example of hospitality and generosity. Now she is also an example of someone who is finishing well. She continues to be transformed and she is ready to both die and live.


No comments:

Post a Comment