Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Home

One of my classes this semester is on occupational therapy and family. At first glance family doesn't seem to have anything to do with OT but many times, people receiving OT greatly benefit from the help of family members.

Last week our professor led us through a short visualization exercise of the kitchen in our home when we were 5. Some of the things she asked us to remember were easy to recall while others were more difficult. The L-shaped kitchen of 1972 was later remodeled into a square so there are sometimes two competing images in my mind. I do remember the cupboards, the window above the sink, and the placement of the stove and the refrigerator. At the same time, I have no memory of what was in the refrigerator. I know there was a telephone somewhere in the room but I don't really remember where. However, I do remember the location of the 1970's-green Kitchen Aid on the counter. That could be because Mom was patient enough to let me help with the baking and we all came running when the mixer was at work because we wanted to lick the bowl and beater. I think the floor was yellow (though I'm not sure that was when I was 5). I do remember playing hockey with Andrew using 2 yardsticks and a lego as we waited for breakfast to be ready. I remember the table sitting in the nook with windows on the east and south sides. Considering how we all have assigned seats now, I'm sure we did then too and I think mine was in the SE corner. I also remember the old grinder that would attach to the cutting board and used to grind up meat for sandwiches. Did we not have sliced deli meat back then?

This whole exercise was part of a section on what home means to different people. My parents moved to town from that house about 6 years ago. I was in Iowa and helped with the move and I don't remember it being difficult. My sense of home seemed to be more attached to Mom and Dad than to the place. However, I was surprised by how emotional this little journey back in time was. Originally, John was going to move to the farm and even though he never did, he was the one farming the land. That all changes this year. The machine shed and barn are empty and the house will become home to a young couple getting their start in farming. Dad still owns it all, but in a way it's not really ours anymore. Though it is not what we had planned, I know it is a good thing for this couple. Yet I am left with a sense of loss. Maybe it is also related to not really having my roots down yet. I feel  more at home here in Minneapolis than I did a year ago but I don't know where I will end up once I am done with my schooling. I am thankful I grew up on a farm with a mom who didn't work outside the home. That allowed all of us to work alongside both my parents which is the best way to learn. After all, values and character are far more likely to be caught than taught.

No comments:

Post a Comment