Sunday, June 2, 2013

A more reasonable pace

I have written before of the intensity of the past semester. It seemed I studied all day Monday through Saturday every week. This semester is different. I don't know if it is because I'm used to the pace and have found ways to work more efficiently or if there really is less work. Either way I'm grateful to feel like I can take the time to stop and see a friend while I'm out running errands.

I continue to enjoy my classes. Neuroanatomy is all about the brain and is fascinating. We have learned a lot about how the brain works in recent years but there is still much we don't understand.

Remediation is a big part of occupational therapy practice as we help people recover function they have lost through injury or disease. Two weeks ago we had a practical test on measuring range of motion in different joints. I wasn't very confident in the one I drew, and I didn't place the goniometer correctly for the first measurement. My grade was fine because my error wasn't worth many points, but I definitely learned from the experience. I won't make the same mistake again. OT Practice in Work Contexts has quite a bit of overlap with Remediation which always makes life easier for students.

The final class, OT in Mental Health Contexts, is also interesting. I recently learned that one of my 3 month rotations (known as field work) will be in a mental health context so I need to pay attention. I will get my feet wet in July with 4 days of field work at a community mental health clinic. I've had little exposure to this type of setting, but my professor thinks I should consider working in mental health. We shall see.

Now that I know where I'll be doing the final 6 months of field work, the end of my studies seems  much nearer. I can begin to plan for the next step. From January - March I'll be in Fergus Falls, MN working in a smaller hospital where I can do a little bit of everything. I have been invited to stay with a couple I know there. I'll be in St. Cloud April - June and it will take some creativity to find an affordable place to stay since I don't know anyone in that area. As to what comes after that, I'll have to wait and see what jobs are available. And I'll have to pass the board exam too. Even though I have another year to go, the end is in sight!

1 comment:

  1. With the end in sight, the year will fly! Please keep writing letters home - I love them.

    ReplyDelete