Saturday, August 28, 2010

First Week of Class

As I begin writing this it is about 4:30 on Saturday afternoon and I just finished my homework for the weekend.  I'm tired.  School (and new things in general) can be rather exhausting. 

I started the week off by receiving a 9 page syllabus at 8:15 on Monday morning in my Intro to Sociology class.  From there I went to Math where the syllabus was one page.  It basically said, "Here's the sections of the book that we are going to cover.  When we finish a chapter we'll have a test."  Of course in a Math class you can count on doing homework every night so how more detailed does the teacher need to be?  He also told us we were going to start slow and that if we thought it was easy that didn't mean we should be in a higher class.  So far it's been pretty easy.  One new experience I had was having a professor swear during his lecture.  That would be my Intro to Psychology prof, if anyone cares.

Medical Terminology is like learning a new language.  At least I've done that before and my French has been some help to me already.  I've been spending lots of time on that.  In fact, it seems I'm spending a lot more time studying now than I did 25 years ago during my first college experience.  My housemate tells me that is normal.  After all a) I am older and b) I need to figure out how to study again.  She has assured me from experience that it will get better.  I sure hope so.  I'm also reminded that intense mental concentration burns off as many calories as exercise.  Maybe that's why I'm tired and also eating more than usual.  I did take a break yesterday evening and went to watch a French movie at the Alliance Française.  It was nice to hear French again even though the movie reminded me why I don't like most French movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment