Sunday, September 5, 2010

A weekend with my niece

It is Sunday evening and it's a good thing that tomorrow is a holiday.  I'll need it in order to recover from having too much fun with my favorite 7 year old.  My niece, Elizabeth, has worn me out.  Yesterday we did four rides at the Mall of America.  (I showed up after the shopping.  I almost felt like I was in Europe as I took the light rail from downtown out to the mall.  Then we had crepes for dinner.)  Then we went back to my parents were staying since they had forgotten Sally (their GPS) and I hadn't a clue how to find Como Park without a map.  Armed with a map we headed across town to St Paul and joined the state fair traffic.  As we circled looking for a parking place Elizabeth fell asleep so she was able to get a little nap before doing more walking at the zoo.  We enjoyed the monkeys and the polar bears the most.  On the return trip Elizabeth decided that Minneapolis would be a good city to play the alphabet game in - as long as you are going from east to west.  We ended the day with another first for Elizabeth (the Mall of America being the other one) - we went to an old-fashioned grill and had a malt with our hamburgers.  Yummy!

Today after church we drove along the Mississippi which Elizabeth declared to be rather small.  By the time we had wandered through downtown among some of those skyscrapers and stopped at a grocery store it was after 2 when we ate.  This afternoon included a bike ride around Lake Harriet.  We even went around twice!  It was fun "but my butt is sore."  The evening ended with a cone at Sabastian Joe's.  Actually it's not quite ended yet.  I'm being called to come read a bit before turning out the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment