Sunday, November 21, 2010

Giving Thanks

It's the time of year when we remember all the things we have to be thankful for.  While there are always reasons to give thanks, it is good to have a day set aside to thank God for a bountiful harvest and getting us through another year.  This might be more obvious to those of us with some connection to agriculture.  Most of the time a good farmer will make a better living than a poor one.  But one storm can wipe out a year's income no matter how good of a farmer one is.  Maybe it's that realization that their livelihood is dependent on the weather that makes it easier for farmers to be thankful and enjoy a day of feasting to celebrate another year's harvest in the bins.

During this transition I've been purposefully reminding myself of the many reasons I have to be thankful.  It helps me put things into perspective when I'm missing friends and a sense of belonging.  So here's a partial list of what I'm thankful for right here, today.
  • A great living situation: 12 minutes from school by bike with a roommate who understands cross-cultural transitions
  • Numerous opportunities to speak French
  • Twin Cities Church: a family of families where I am starting to have a sense of belonging.
  • I'm only 3 1/2 hours away from my family
  • Extended family in the area that include me in gatherings
  • Classes that I am enjoying
  • How nice people are when I ask for help or information.  "Minnesota nice" is a cultural thing that still takes me by surprise.  I guess I was used to getting a sense that my request is a bother even when responding to that request is that person's job.
  • I'm not having to spend as much time studying as I did at the beginning of the semester.
  • People around the globe that care about me and keep in touch
What's one thing on your list this year?

1 comment: