Monday, December 27, 2010

Christmas traditions

My family has many Christmas traditions and over the years they have extended beyond Christmas Eve and Christmas day.  Here's some of the traditions I'm enjoying this week.
  • Christmas Eve service followed by a simple meal.  It used to be oyster stew and potato soup (for those who couldn't stomach the oysters).  This year we had white chili.
  • Stockings laid on the love seat with care.
  • Presents with no names which means someone opens a present that is really for someone else.  (That didn't happen this year.)
  • Too much food: date balls, ginger snaps, peppernuchies, ham, creamed corn, homemade rolls pistachios, eggnog, apple cider...
  • Games played as a family
  • A puzzle to work on while watching too much football
  • A couple of days with some of the Louisiana relatives
  • Playing in the snow no matter how cold it is
  • The extended family celebration scheduled for January 1st.  As usual we are watching the weather to see how difficult it will be to actually get there.
As much as I'm enjoying traditions here, I'm missing traditions from France including papillotes (special chocolates sold only at Christmas) and a buche de Noël (ice cream Christmas logs).  I also miss dear friends.

All of this is to celebrate Jesus' birthday.  I think he enjoys all of the feasting, laughter, games, stories, naps and time with family and friends.  After all he was accused of liking parties a little too much.  I think he was delighted to hear my 8 year-old niece read the Christmas story before opening presents.  I think he was just as delighted to see the laughter (and a few tears) as my mom has given away some of the "flood treasures" she recently rediscovered.  I wonder what treasures/memories Jesus will have for us when we get to celebrate his birthday with him face to face?

No comments:

Post a Comment