Friday, May 27, 2011

Home

A few days before I left for France a friend asked me where I was going. I managed to catch myself before I said, "home" but knew there was plenty of emotion behind that thought which needed to be processed. As I reflected on this during my trip via Chicago and Madrid, I decided that if I could call my parents' place home even though I no longer live there, I can also call France home after living there for 18 years.

During the 12 days I spent in Lyon I enjoyed summer-like temperatures, buying 10 roses for less than $14, walking familiar streets, being back in the land of small cars, quiet Sundays, formage blanc, French bread, cheese, the best ice cream in Lyon and being with friends. There was no way I could see everyone but I did try to visit as many as possible. There are only so many meals one can eat in a day especially when each one is at a different person's home. Thankfully French breakfasts are far from being hearty.  One afternoon a friend offered me a cup of tea which I declined saying I'd already had 3 that day. She graciously agreed that was enough and took me to a sidewalk cafĂ© where I could drink something cold while we caught up on the events in our lives over the past year. I got to know the babies who had been born since my departure and came home with some pictures as well as a clay "container" lovingly made by a 7 year old. I spent a lovely evening with Geoffrey and Aline (the couple who got married in April and were the reason for my visit) seeing pictures and hearing stories about their wedding and their first month together.

When it came time to say good-bye in some ways it was harder than a year ago. Many of my friends commented that they were looking forward to my visit a year from now. My finances won't allow for a yearly visit and there is no wedding on the horizon to look forward to. So somehow the good-byes seemed more final. I will continue to grieve the loss of face-to-face relationships that have meant so much to me over the years. At the same time as I walked home from the light rail after being up for over 22 hours during my return trip, I was thankful for the sense that I was coming home and looking forward to seeing my new friends here. The time will come when these relationships will be deeper and meaningful like those with some of my friends living in France.

I've come to the conclusion this week that I have 3 places I call home.  No wait, it's actually 4. As one of my friends reminded me, home is where we are going, not where we come from. Minneapolis is starting to feel more like home but I'm eagerly looking forward to really being HOME one day. Come Lord Jesus, come!

No comments:

Post a Comment