Sunday, September 25, 2011

Watching Jane

I spent Wednesday afternoon with Jane, the 11-month daughter of a couple in my church. I wasn't quite sure how she would respond to me since I haven't spent much time with her but when I went to rescue her from her crib after her midday nap she greeted me with a broad smile. We had a grand time together even though I did all the talking. We played with toys, read books (with Jane turning the pages), looked out the window (the weather wasn't fit for a walk) and I tried to get her down for a nap. On the first attempt I didn't have enough milk in the bottle so her eyes popped open as soon as it ran out and she was up for another 45 minutes.

My time with Jane reminded me of several conversations recently with friends about God's love and grace. There is something about small children that is just precious. Even when I needed to correct Jane she was still precious. "No Jane, you don't want to stick your finger in the outlet... You don't want to eat my statistics book... You REALLY don't want to put the strap from my backpack in your mouth. It has been on the floor in some very dirty places..." I guess you could say that I corrected her simply to protect her and I wanted to protect her because she is so precious. She hasn't done anything to be precious. She just is and that's enough.

I think God looks at us in much the same way only more so. It's because we are so precious to him that he sets some limits, corrects us when needed and puts up some barriers to keep us from going where we think we really want to be. None of it comes out of condemnation as if he's impatiently waiting for us to get our act together. It's all out of love and grace. I'm precious to him and because of that he's looking out for me. That's something I need to hear this week.

The Lord your God is in your midst,
a mighty one who will save;
he will rejoice over you with gladness;
he will quiet you by his love;
he will exult over you with loud singing. 
Zephaniah 3:17

No comments:

Post a Comment