Sunday, November 20, 2011

Back in the groove

Whether I wanted to or not, I needed to get back into my normal school schedule. I have no desire to get further behind and there are now only 3 weeks left before finals. I spent the week making up a test and a quiz, getting ready for an Anatomy test on Thursday and trying to understand the statistics that I'd missed while I was gone--all while I was thinking of my brother, John, and other family members far more than I usually do.

The other part of my week was getting into the groove of actually working rather than simply training at UPS. I managed the early hours (starting work at 5 AM) by going to bed early. By Thursday I needed a nap so I could make it through my 9:45 class. I started out on unload which involves removing packages and mail bags from the containers and putting them on a belt that takes them to be sorted. We saw all kinds of things: shoe boxes from Zappos (those are light), small cube boxes that a far to heavy for their size and plenty of boxes from Amazon. Throw in a tire, some ice chests, and lots of bags of samples headed for a medical lab and it's all in a days work. It's a good workout and I ended up with some tired muscles. I also have quite a few little bruises on my legs which must be from bumping up against corners of boxes. In less than 3 hours three planes can be unloaded, the packages sorted and put on the right truck (which goes to the other sorting centers in the metro area) or onto the right feeder plane (small plane that goes to different areas of Minnesota and western Wisconsin). Next week I'm getting moved to small sort where my role will be to sort the envelopes and small packages. I won't have any sore muscles there but my brain will actually have to be functioning so things get to the right place. Small sort is the one place where they actually keep track of errors and know who made them.

1 comment:

  1. Glad this job is working out and that you had a few days when your body could work and your mind could adjust. Now your mind will be required too - God's perfect timing. Praying for you. -v

    ReplyDelete