Friday, November 11, 2011

Honoring John Robert Hibma

This past week over 800 people came to honor my brother, John. They didn't come because he accomplished anything great or was rich and famous. He was a simple farmer and mechanic who never lived more than 20 miles from where he grew up. They came because of the kind of man he was. I knew he was a good son, brother, husband and father yet I heard many stories this week that showed me new facets of the honorable man he was.

John was a man:
  • who stepped aside to let impatient, frustrated farmers get their parts first during the press of harvest.
  • who sat and listened to a friend going through a divorce without judgment.
  • who called someone he had known for only a short time to pray with them in the midst of their battle with cancer.
  • who barely made it through high school but left love notes to his wife and daughter when he headed off to work before they woke up.
  • who was one of the few fathers to take his daughter to the library and attend all the conferences at school.
  • who called neighbors to see how they were doing.
  • who backed up his pickup so he could ask the friend of a cousin how he was doing after major surgery.
  • who hummed as he worked.
  • who was fun to be around, bringing a smile to every gathering.
  • who thanked those who did things for him.
  • who always had time for a cup of coffee or to talk with kids.
  • who was a faithful, strong protector and provider for his family.
  • who was not a yes man but would speak his mind. 
  • who stopped to see if those in the car stopped alongside the road needed help.
  • who kept things in perspective and helped people not make a mountain out of a molehill.
  • whose chiropractor and the woman who cut his hair came to his funeral.
  • who let the hard things in life make him better. In recent years it took more for him to get angry. He seemed more content. He was more patient and compassionate.
  • whose last words were "I love you" as he talked with his wife on the phone.
A friend of mine said, "John lived his life well and he finished well. I think everyone stood when he entered heaven."

I think she is right. I read through Colossians 3 and I feel like I'm reading a description of John. He knew what it was to put his hope completely in Jesus and to be given a new self. He knew Jesus was his life and as a result he was able to live life to the fullest and love well. I am honored to have known him for the past 39 years and to introduce myself as John's sister.

The man who fears the Lord is blessed...
The righteous will never be moved...
He will be honored...
He will be remembered forever.
(taken from Psalm 112)

6 comments:

  1. Alice, your words in this blog posting really moved Nancy & me. Thank you for using your gift of writing to express your love and honoring for John.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless you and carry you all in the days ahead. He is ever faithful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, so much, Alice, for sharing these words about John. Although I can say I did not know about all of them, none of them surprise me! He was truly a great man and an awesome father! I am sure everyone stood in heaven, when he got there! i am sure my dad and he will have many a discussion about green vs. red! Lynn Jorgensen

    ReplyDelete
  4. TRACY DETTMAN (second cousin)November 13, 2011 at 10:18 PM

    Thank You Alice! Your words paint a beautiful picture of your brother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honestly, I didn't know John closely, and we only chatted briefly a few times since I came into the Hibma family. Nonetheless, I have admired and respected John for how I always witnessed him treat Lana and Elizabeth with the highest honor and respect of any Husband and Father I know. He guided them with a gentle hand and a loving voice and was their protector. He was Christ to them as a Husband and Father, and I pray daily for Christ to shape me into that light for my family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful way to live ones life, selflessly and God-centered. From the stories others shared it is obvious that John lived that way without second thought. I am truly sad that I did not know him better but am so excited to one day meet the man that everyone held so dear. Thank you for sharing, Alice.

    ReplyDelete