Sunday, April 15, 2012

World Premiere

Music is better heard than described with words, but since the recital I attended featured two world premiers, they can't yet be found on youtube. Who knows if they will ever be of internet fame. Then again, maybe that is not the desire of these students. For this particular concert Erik Rohde, a doctoral student in orchestral conducting, was happy to conduct the university orchestra and a hodge-podge sixteen-member choral who had all rehearsed together two times.

The first piece was a viola concerto, Knowing the River, composed by Jacob Tews, a viola doctoral student. From one of the women who sang in the choral I learned the score had 1184 measures, 148 time signature changes and 14 key changes. From the first notes I knew that this was a modern piece. It was filled with dissonance. At times during the first act I felt like I was listening to noise. Yet that noise fit with the texts being sung.
   ...The jester of Discordance now leads the footsteps...
   Cuts from the harsh thorns 
   are met by increasing fierceness 
   mixed with a secret fear: 
   This place is suitable for me, 
   as empty and dark as the secrets of my soul...

In the second act the dissonance lessened and things began to resolve a bit.
   ...Contentment and peace, hitherto elusive,
   now fill my mind, my lips, and my being with your praise.
   Swaying. Staying. Praying in your presence.
   Shall I dance?

The third act depicted uncontainable laughter, spontaneous childlikeness, and a kaleidoscope of joys. And at the end, finally in a major key with more pleasing harmonies, it declared:
   Behold! I tell you a mystery.
   We shall not all sleep,
   but we shall all be changed...
   Then shall come to pass
   the saying that is written:
   Death is swallowed up in victory.
   O death, where is your victory?
  
Throughout the concerto I enjoyed watching Jacob Tews play the soloist part. At times a smile would play over his lips as he seemed particularly pleased with how it was all sounding. Another time I think it was in anticipation of a section he particularly enjoyed. But during the closing lines his face  filled with emotion and his eyes brimmed with tears.
   O death, where is your sting?
   Amen, halleluia!

Whatever the dreams Jacob and Erik have, I hope that they never stop putting all their heart into the music they compose, perform or conduct.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment