Sunday, February 17, 2013

The out-of-the-ordinary in the last few weeks

Life is rather routine for most people. My life seems even more routine than usual this semester. I go to work; I sit at my desk and study (or go to class); I find something to eat; I fall into bed at 8 pm so I can get up at 4 am and do it all over again. But every now and then something happens that breaks the routine.
  • Yesterday a friend from France called me. It was great to catch up on her life and extended family. And it is always good to know that I can still speak French.
  • I continue to visit Audrey at the nursing home once a week. We have become friends and she really appreciates my visits. Last week I noticed a book on her dresser with her name on it as the author. "Did you write a book?" "No," she responded, "my daughter did." It turns out that she had recorded the stories of her life and one of her daughters had transcribed them for her 85th birthday. She is now 98. Her story was my leisure reading last weekend. This week when I went to visit she was sound asleep but I got to meet one of her granddaughters.
  • Valentine's Day is a great money maker at UPS. We had to be at work 10 minutes early and it felt a like a one-day Christmas rush. The packages are lighter and there were lots of boxes of flowers. A friend who lives across the street invited me and a few other friends for a special meal that evening. 
  • One of my stressed out classmates gave us all a package of fish shaped candy with the message, "Of all the fish in the sea, I'm glad we swim in the same school! Happy Valentine's Day! P.S. Just keep swimming." Somehow she had the creative juices, time and energy to brighten our day.
  • This week I went with two of my classmates to learn from some people dealing with long-term homelessness. We all came away with the sense that we have a lot to learn. We'll be spending time with them every other week for the next couple of months.
  • After church today I went with a friend of mine to Holy Land restaurant. It's great to spend $10 for a buffet of Middle Eastern food and enjoy some good conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment