Sunday, April 6, 2014

Spring!!

It's been a long cold winter here in Minnesota. I should be used to it. I grew up in the cold and snow but somehow it seemed worse this year. Maybe it's because I spent the coldest part of the winter in Fergus Falls where it was consistently 10-15˚ colder than in NW Iowa where I grew up. That matters when the temperature is below zero as it often was this winter. Maybe it's because I'm no longer a kid or because I actually had to go out in the cold each day and couldn't just study at my desk in sweatpants. My one consolation--I wasn't in Embarrass, MN, which was often the coldest spot in the nation, Alaska included. One advantage of living through long cold winters is that spring is that much sweeter and more appreciated.

Today I went to Minneapolis to visit my church there and spend the afternoon with some friends enjoying spring. For us the 60˚ felt like summer. There is still snow in spots and the trees are no where near budding but the kids had shorts on as we sat in the backyard and roasted bratwurst over the fire pit. Once we were done eating we just sat and soaked up the sun. I also soaked up the time with people who know me well and where I know everyone's name. It was hard to tear myself away and head back up I-94 so I can be ready for another week of learning new names and responsibilities at a new place. More on that next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment