Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Spinning my wheels

It's pretty easy for me right now to tell someone about a typical day. I go to work from 8 to 4:30, get home around 5, jump on my bike for an hour or two, shower, eat supper, and head for bed. The jump-on-my-bike part isn't something I always feel like doing but I know I'll enjoy my planned summer adventure far more if I put in the time now.

In 2007 I went on a 10-day bike trip from Roncesvalles to Santiago, Spain with three friends. (You can read about it here.) Though it wasn't always an easy trip, I've been wanting to do something like that every since with riding across the USA being the ultimate adventure. As I near the end of my studies, I figure that now is the time to do it before I get a job and before I get any older. So this summer I signed up for a cross-country ride with the Fuller Center for Housing. The Fuller Center partners with local groups to build or repair decent affordable housing. The goal of the ride is to raise awareness for the Fuller Center along with some funds to help make this possible. In addition we'll be taking four days along the way to help with a building project. Here's some more information and/or ways to help sponsor the trip.

A week after I finish my internship in St. Cloud I'll be joining this bike adventure in Chicago and riding the remaining 2600 miles to Astoria, Oregon. That sounds a little crazy actually. That's a long way to pedal and a long time to sit on a skinny bike seat. And thus the training -- whether I feel like it or not. I spent January and February just reminding my body what exercise was. Since March I've been on my bike. Last week I was able to get outside every day which meant facing the wind. There are times when I wonder how much further I can pedal into its teeth, but then I remember that headwinds will have to be beaten this summer since I won't be able to turn when I'm tired and blow back home. This week I'm back inside since it is cold and rainy. I'm grateful for my trainer (a stand that attaches to the back wheel with a roller to which resistance can be added.) It's not very enjoyable to spin away without going anywhere but it's the best I can do. Add in some intervals and a podcast or two and I feel like I've gotten a good workout after an hour. At least I think two towels soaked in sweat should mean something. I'm hoping I can be back outside next week on the country roads with the wind and hills where I can enjoy the beauty of nature during the arrival of spring. I have two more months to get my legs, seat, and shoulders in shape. 

No comments:

Post a Comment