Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Online Math class

Math has always been one of my favorite classes. Finding the answer (I should call it a solution) is like figuring out a puzzle. And all answers are objective even when there are multiple answers. The downside is that I tend to make stupid mistakes (like 1+1 is 1). The only way to check my work is to do each problem twice. If I just look it over, I'm liable to agree with any mistakes I made the first time around. My math professor last semester commented that I should do it right the first time. I agree but the only way to assure that I did do it right is to do it again and see if I get the same answer.

This semester the only math class that fit into my schedule is primarily online. While it is nice not to have to go to class three mornings a week, it seems to take much more time than the traditional classroom. What a professor can explain in 5 minutes takes over an hour of going through an online book and filling out worksheets. When I can't figure something out the answer to my question is buried somewhere in a 5 to 10 minute video. Then there are the problems to do on top of that which take at least an hour and sometimes more.

This past weekend I went to see my family. Since I don't have classes on Friday I left Thurs afternoon and came back on Monday morning. I felt like I spent all day Friday and Saturday working on math. It would have been much more enjoyable to play with my niece on Saturday morning! In the process my two other classes were neglected and I'm feeling behind facing a test in Chemistry on Wednesday and a quiz in Lifespan Development.  Of course there is always more math to do. I will make it to the end of the semester (only 1 more month) but I don't ever want to take an online math class again. There are two options for college Algebra this summer: one is online and the other is every morning from 8 to 10. I will gladly get out of the house every morning and show up to class!

No comments:

Post a Comment