Sunday, October 23, 2011

Celebrating

I liked MEA weekend as a high school student and it's even better as an older student to have a short break from class. My niece's birthday usually falls at the same time so that means I can get more out of a trip to Iowa. I didn't have class on Thursday or Friday so I could leave as soon as I was ready after class on Wednesday morning. But first I had to get my room in order. My flatmate's parents were coming to visit so I was finally motivated to find a place for everything.

Another side benefit of getting to celebrate Elizabeth's birthday in October is that it falls during harvest. At least it usually does. Last year they had finished by the time I arrived. The only reason this year wasn't a repeat performance was because of several breakdowns. My older brother was also home and got to run the combine one evening while Dad went to a meeting. Mom and I took a hot meal out to the field and I rode with Dad for awhile in the combine. He let me drive for a few rounds. I felt as if I was 14 and learning to drive a stick shift. He was just as patient now as he was then with my jerky stops and starts.

Elizabeth turned 9 and both sides of the family were together today to celebrate. We all enjoyed the beautiful weather as we played games out in the yard. There were two obvious signs that Elizabeth is getting older. She waited patiently for several hours before she was able to open her presents. Her packages are also getting smaller and the cards are starting to include more money. I hope she enjoys her shopping spree.

No comments:

Post a Comment