Sunday, October 16, 2011

Job hunting

I've been looking for work with varying intensity since I arrived. It's been hard to find something that fits my school schedule and that doesn't require working on Sunday or selling something that very few people really need. A few weeks ago I was looking at the cost of the OT program I want to get into and decided that I really need to get motivated and find a more steady job besides working security at the U of Minn home football games.

One morning I thought of UPS. I'd heard that they helped students with tuition and that they were a good company to work for. I did some investigating online, filled out an application and was invited to come to the warehouse to find out more - at 4 AM. It quickly became clear that another time slot wasn't an option so I signed up. I guess if the shift is from 4 to 7 they want to make sure that you can show up at that time at least once. Along with three other people we were shown around the warehouse catching a glimpse of the different tasks and how it all worked together to get packages delivered on time. Those of us who were interested were invited back the next morning for an actual interview.  Mine was at the more normal time of 6:00. 

I've wondered if I'll be able to keep up with the rhythm of working from 4 to 7 five days a week. One thing is for sure, it will never interfere with my class schedule and they also say it will take care of any need for exercise. We will see when I actually get started after passing the background check and the FBI fingerprint check.


No comments:

Post a Comment