Sunday, September 23, 2012

Birthday Bash

Awhile back my housemate, Jan, proposed that we have a joint birthday open house since we both have a somewhat significant birthday this year a week apart. I wasn't really sure how two students on a limited budget and with limited time could pull it off but thanks to the help of friends who brought food and helped with logistics, our back yard was full of people this afternoon. The weather was a bit chilly but it was pleasant in the sun. The menu was hors d'ouvres and cake and I was sure we wouldn't have enough food but it turned out about right. My caramel sauce was a big hit and we ran out of apples before we ran out of caramel.

Yesterday I was telling Jan that I'd be ready to find my bed when the party was over. She said that as an extrovert she'd be wondering why everyone was leaving so soon. That is pretty much how it turned out. A friend offered to take her to a movie so she continues to party. I declined the offer to join them being happy to have a bit of time to myself. The introvert part of me prefers smaller gatherings where I have time to talk with everyone more in depth. Two years ago I was still new in town and didn't know anyone to celebrate with. I invited myself over to a cousin's just to have something to do. I'm glad that I now have some friends to invite over and who gladly come. And the party will continue next weekend when my family comes to visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment