Friday, March 29, 2013

Learning from the homeless

Yesterday morning I went to "group." The meeting starts with check-in. Everyone knows the routine. You give your name, your mood on a scale of 1-10 and then answer the question of the day. Yesterday's question was, "What do you look forward to each day?" What would you say? It's not the easiest question to answer.

Several of these people said something to the effect of, "Just waking up and being alive."  Several others said, "Being sober. Making it through the day sober."

Those responses show that I wasn't with the type of people I'm usually with. My classmates and I may grumble and complain about our work load that results in a lack of occupational balance and some really look forward to a beer after a full day of class, but we don't have to worry about making it through the day sober. I think my favorite time of day is sunrise and thanks to my early morning job I usually get to see it and am thankful for that beauty, but I usually take for granted that I'll be alive tomorrow morning. 

This particular group of adults meets regularly in the basement of St. Stephens, a nonprofit organization that works to meet the needs of those facing homelessness. Those who come are dealing with long-term homelessness and substance abuse or mental illness. As I've participated over the past few months I've heard bits and pieces of their stories. Some of them have spots in a shelter. Others have an apartment. Some are or have been in treatment. Some aren't sober when they walk in the door and that's OK -- as long as they aren't disruptive.  Some likely come to group for breakfast. Others need the support as they try to make it through one more day sober. From what a couple people said yesterday, sometimes they come just to get away from a tough situation for a few hours. Some are working hard so they can once again see their children.

Yesterday three of us Occupational Therapy program led the discussion. We asked them to jot down what they normally do on a weekday and on the weekend. Then we gave them some categories of activities (occupations) such as personal responsibilities, work/productivity, leisure/play, social, and rest/sleep. Having a balance between all of these areas leads to a greater sense of well-being. During the discussion one of the men compared his past and his present. "Before all I did was drink and take care of myself. Now I'm doing all of those other things." When I asked him whether he was more satisfied with his past or his present he talked about how now his life isn't falling apart but it is so hard. He wants to drink so bad. He also has hope that it won't always be this hard. I applaud him for setting aside immediate satisfaction for a better life in the long-term.

I'm thankful for the opportunity to observe and listen to these men and women. I've learned a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment