Sunday, April 7, 2013

Finals

The usual posture for taking a test is sitting at a desk or table with head down and little if any looking around. The focus is on answering the questions. Too much looking around leads to distraction or suspicion that we are trying to get the answer from somewhere  besides our own head. Our cadaver lab final was a  different experience, which may be why I actually enjoyed it.

We have nine cadavers in our lab and during the exam, one student was allowed on each side of a cadaver at a time. That left at least 10 of us standing around as we waited a turn. This gave me ample time to people watch, which often proves to be quite interesting. In this particular case, I knew those I was observing. Over the course of two semesters with numerous group projects, I've come to appreciate the individuality and personality of each of my classmates. As I leaned against the wall waiting for my turn I noticed that no one looked their best. After all, this was cadaver lab so old clothes and pulled back hair was most appropriate. I saw a classmate bent over the forearm pulling on a tendon hoping that something on the other end would move so she could identify the correct muscle. Another was tracing a blood vessel or nerve farther up the leg so she could give it the right name. Through their actions I could see the logic they were using. I know the pressure we've been under and the amount of work we have done to get to this point. As I observed, I found myself rooting for each one, thankful that we were not in competition. A few days later the grades were posted and our professor included the highest and lowest grades in the class. I was pleased to know that not only had I done well, but so had everyone else in the class.

In the next three days I have three comprehensive finals. I've tried to be motivated to study and push through to the end of the semester but I'm far more excited about planning what I will do during our two week break. And even though I won't have the leisure to lean against the wall and watch my classmates, I'll be pulling for all of them. We are almost half-way done.

1 comment: