Sunday, May 19, 2013

Celebrating Mary Pat

Last Thursday I attended Mary Pat's memorial service, a friend of our family for the past 30 years. She knew she didn't have long to live so she had planned her own service. A violinist played demonstrating her love of classical music. The tables were decorated with colorful balloons reminding us that she wanted this to be a celebration because she was now home. She chose the scripture passages that were read and the songs we sang. She had wanted to record an explanation of John 3:16 but it didn't work so a friend read exactly what Mary Pat had written - and it sounded just like her.

The tributes told of a fun-loving aunt who came every holiday and had a way of making you feel so special. The people from her church remember her as the lady who wore a hat, whether anyone else did or not. She was the one who loved missions and young people. (How many people over the age of 80 are known for the love of teenagers?) One of the women from her church said she had no idea that Mary Pat had traveled so much. "She didn't want to talk about herself. She wanted to hear about me and my children." Among those present at the service was a large group of women a few years younger than Mary Pat. She had mentored them while living in a discipleship house run by the Navigator's. They remember her as the woman whose love for Jesus was contagious, who taught them to study the Bible as well as how to cook, clean, and fold sheets. Stories were told of her spirit of adventure that took her to China in her 70s and of her love for Jesus that renewed her inner strength even as her body became more and more frail. As she had been an example in life, she became a great example of how to die.

As I listened to the tributes and reflected on what I knew of Mary Pat, I was reminded that I do not need to fear the future or wonder who will help me when I become old and frail. Like Mary Pat, I have no children to fill that role. Instead I have something far better: the promise that, It is the Lord who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed (Deuteronomy 31:8). In the end Mary Pat had several friends who helped her in so many ways. They were all people she had loved and given herself to and they were more than happy to give to her in return. As one of those who spoke said, "When I grow up, I want to be like Mary Pat."

Strength and dignity are her clothing, 
and she laughs at the time to come.
Proverbs 31.25  

No comments:

Post a Comment