Sunday, May 5, 2013

Simple things mean a lot

 As I look back over what I've written in the last couple of months I realize that I haven't mentioned one of the most significant events of the semester. This particular story starts at a Graduate Christian Fellowship (associated with InterVarsity) meeting in February. The topic of conversation was how we could have a greater impact on the campus. As we talked I realized that grad students have some very practical needs but other grad students have very little time or energy to help meet those needs. It seemed the one thing missing from the conversation was the church. As a result, I wrote an email to my house church (small group) leaders and gave them an idea for a way to meet a practical need of the 24 people in my cohort. In our particular program, we are on campus one or two days a week from at least 9 to 4. I have written before of the pressure we all were under and how overwhelmed we felt. I felt like I was seeing my classmates age before my eyes. The idea I had was to have a few people bring the noon meal (that wasn't pizza) for the whole cohort. It seems like a small thing, but when you are feeling overwhelmed, not having to think about a meal makes the burden lighter.

Anna loved the idea and three other women volunteered to help. We chose a date which turned out to be the most intense week of the semester and they made three different kinds of chili and cornbread. Sarah also brought along some "brain food" like trail mix and raisins that we kept eating for several weeks. I told the class via our Facebook page that some friends from my church were bringing the meal the following Tuesday. The response was overwhelming.
  • That is the nicest thing ever.
  • When I saw your post I just cried. They don't even know us.
  • You have some amazing friends. Thank you for sharing them with us.
  • That was such a treat. It was the highlight of my day.
It was a simple thing. Sure it took some organization, the time to make the food, loading up the car, bringing all the bowls, plates... and a trip to campus. But it meant so much. Personally, I felt very loved. And a few days later I felt even more loved when I was given two grocery sacks of frozen homemade meals in individual serving sized containers. I didn't have to think about my lunches for the rest of the semester. It was wonderful! I do have some wonderful friends and I am glad to share them.

No comments:

Post a Comment