Sunday, July 14, 2013

Joy and saddness

Over the last few months my family has been rejoicing. This week one of my cousins welcomed their 2nd child into the world. When I saw the announcement on facebook and the name they gave their precious little girl I cried. Suzanne Beth is named after her grandma and was born just a few days after what would have been Grandma-Suzanne's 53rd birthday. She would have loved spoiling little Suzie, her first grand-daughter, dressing her up in style and later on teaching her to cook.

My family is also rejoicing over the upcoming wedding of my brother, Andrew and his bride, Vicky. It's still two months away but the waiting for Vicky's visa is over and plans are far more concrete. A few weeks ago I called Andrew to coordinate travel plans and he informed me I would be part of the wedding party. "You'll be standing next to me." I'm greatly honored and more than happy to break tradition. But I've also shed some tears. That place next to Andrew belongs to our brother John. He would so have enjoyed celebrating with Andrew and Vicky and probably teased Andrew more than necessary.

John and Suzanne have gone on to heaven. We miss them in the midst of daily life. But, at least for me, I miss John most in the special moments, the big events and celebrations. The tears do not diminish the rejoicing; but they do remind me of the wonderful promise of a time when Jesus will set everything right again and will reign as King in a world where it is impossible for celebrations and joy to be tainted by sorrow and tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment